Borders without Boundaries - Twenty Valley & Beamsville Bench Wine Tour
BROCK UNIVERSITY CONGRESS 2014
Tours offered daily from May 24th - 30th, 2014.
Enjoy the rolling hills of The Bench as you taste some of the best wines in the region. The perfect terroir and ideal topography replicates the soils and vineyards in Burgundy, France. Don’t have time to jet off to France? Why not enjoy the best of the best right on ‘The Bench’!
As you embark on a tour to discover Niagara wine, you will also have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of the labour of alumni from Brock University’s Oenology and Viticulture program, as well as Brock’s research partners. Visit the following Oenology and Viticulture alumni on your Beamsville Bench Tour: Lydia Tomek, Winemaker, Hernder Estate Winery; Emma Garner, Winemaker, Thirty Bench Winery; Gabriel DeMarco, Assistant Winemaker, Cave Spring Cellars and Richie Roberts, Winemaker, Fielding Estate Winery. Additionally, John Howard, owner of Megalomaniac, was the co-chair of the capital campaign to build CCOVI to provide industry with a research resource to assist growth of our grape and wine industry.
Tour Inclusive of:
- Convenient pick up from Brock University at 10:30am
- An experienced and knowledgeable Wine Host to answer all of your questions
- In depth tour at Hernder Estate Winery followed by a structured tasting
- Taste at (4) additional wineries: Cave Spring Cellars, Megalomaniac, Thirty bench Winery & Fielding Estate Winery
- Taste a variety of white wines, red wines and Icewine - minimum of 15 tastings per guest!
- 3 Course Winemaker's Lunch at Winery Restaurant On The Twenty
- Learn about the history of grape growing, wine production in the Niagara Region and the ecological, climatic and agricultural aspects of grape and wine production.
- Enjoy the serene landscape away from the hustle and bustle of agendas, emails and smart phones as you travel along the rolling vineyards, naturalized areas and beautiful vistas of orchards leading to Lake Ontario.
- Tour duration approximately 6 1/2 hours with drop off at Brock Univeristy at approximately 5:00pm
Featured Wineries on the Twenty Valley, Beamsville Bench Lunch Tour are:
Hernder Estate Winery
Tour this historic property from rolling vineyards to wine press, barrel cellar to bottling line and finish in the tasting room with a tasting of (3) wines.
- Hernder produces a range of red, white and fruit wines in a winery built around a centuries old barn
Cave Spring Cellars
Visit one of the oldest functioning wine cellars in Ontario.
- taste (4) wines at this revered winery
Winemaker's 3 Course Lunch
Following the tasting at Cave Spring Cellars, enjoy a (3) course sumptuous A La Carte lunch Winemaker’s Lunch (appetizer, entrée and dessert) at Niagara’s first and most celebrated winery restaurant - On the Twenty.
Continue the journey past rolling hills, cliffs and streams and arrive at Megalomaniac. Perched high atop the rolling hills – some of the best wines in the region worthy of a cult following. Be sure to bring your camera – you will want to capture the stunning view of the Toronto skyline across Lake Ontario!
- enjoy a tasting of wines right in the Barrel Cellar at this bunker style winery
Thirty Bench Winery
For the 4th Winery stop, you will arrive at the rustic barn known as Thirty Bench Winery, known for their exceptional Riesling – one of the very best in the Niagara Region.
- enjoy a flight of wines in the intimate tasting room or weather permitting, enjoy the tasting outdoors overlooking the vineyards
Fielding Estate Winery
Your journey of the Bench region will end at the 5th winery with a ‘blind tasting’ at Fielding Estates Winery.
- test your wine tasting skills with (3) wines presented in black Spiegelau ‘blind’ tasting glasses – a fun and adventurous way to end such a great and memorable journey!
Please note revised Itinerary for Saturday May 24th , 2014
Flat Rock Cellars Tour and Tasting in place of Hernder Estate Winery
Taste during the walking tour overlooking rolling vineyards and stunning views of Lake Ontario at this unique eco-friendly winery.
Remainder of the tour itinerary remains the same with tasting at Cave Spring Cellars, 3 course Lunch at On The Twenty Restaurant, tasting at Megalomaniac, tasting at Thirty Bench and tasting at Fielding Estate Winery.
Please book in advance to reserve your spot.
Cancellations must be received within 5 days of tour date for a refund.